minstrel: Re: minstrel-digest V1 #882

Paula bookwyrm at ureach.com
Fri Apr 21 15:54:57 PDT 2000

> -

> From:
Debra=Grove%SSD_FINAID%MSCD at Bansrvr3.mscd.edu
(Debra Grove)

<krummhorn at hotmail.com>, on
<minstrel at pbm.com>]

> > A member of our household is interested in
acquiring a bowed psaltry.
> I have
> > heard some debate of the "period-ness" of this
instrument.  Could folk
> here
> > enlighten me, so that I may pass the
information to her?

> I know that the plucked psaltery is incredibly
period, but I think the
> use
> of a bow on a triangular psaltery is a 20th
century invention.

> Thank you.  I was fairly sure the triangular
sort was modern;

According to Musica Antiqua, the triangular
psaltery is period: "Southern Europe, influenced
by Moorish Spain, prefered the trapezoidal psaltry
with three or
four strings to a note. Northern psalteries tended
to be triangular or wing-shaped and single or
double-strung."

There is a link to their website from the SCA
Music page and there is a bibliography at the
bottom of the psaltery page, so you can verify it.
 The URL is:
http://www.s-hamilton.k12.ia.us/antiqua/psaltery.h
tm

It may not be the last word in authenticity, but
they site seems to be a good source for period
instruments of all sorts.

Peace,
Paula

PS  From this site, I was also reassured to find
that 12/11 hammered dulcimers with two bridges are
period.