minstrel: new topic/psaltry

Vanessa Layne dagoura at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 20 16:53:20 PDT 2000

Tangwystyl writes:

> One of the reasons I'm curious is because, to me, someone playing a
> hammered dulcimer in the modern styles screams "modern" to my brain, even
> if the underlying melody is historic, and I don't know whether this is
> simply the context in which I usually hear it, or what.

So I have this friend who's really into World Music (tm), particularly
traditional musics from the east Mediterranean.  He's played a
recording of some Turkish (IIRC) music on the hammered dulcimer (the
instrument is widely held to be of ME origin.  It was very interesting
indeed to hear another musical culture's take on What Do You Do with
the instrument.  That didn't scream "modern" at all. :)

I seem to recall the liner notes made some interesting allegations.
The picture of the instrument was also interesting: the lower courses
had up to 5(!) strings each.  Quite a sound.

-- Tibicen