minstrel: Vocabulary and Terminology

erilarlo at win.bright.net erilarlo at win.bright.net
Thu Apr 20 13:53:55 PDT 2000

At 11:47 AM -0600 4/20/0, Debra Grove wrote:
>From: Greg Lindahl <lindahl at pbm.com>, on 4/20/00 11:18 AM:
>>> Within the SCA, as in many pre-1600's cultures, the Bard holds a kind of
>trust.
>>
>> *I* am not a "Bard", and many folks on this list don't call themselves
>Bards.

I have a really solid image of "Bard" based on some very creative and
talented ones I know, and consider myself nowhere NEAR that level, though
I'm working on it. I'm a journeywoman;-)  I work hard at being Really Nice
to newcomers, whatever their interests, but especially if they express even
the faintest interest in the bardic arts.;-)

Needs must when the Devil drives, or whatever. I've just discovered
something I should have realized long ago: I don't have to actually paste
in the address, just type in the nickname from my address book. DUH!

Lady Mechthild zur Drachenhoehle, erilar
Maker of runic inscriptions, literate in the languages of the Eddas and
Minnesaenger, sometime performer of works of the latter, singer,
artificer,incipient harper, illuminator, archer, and Journeywoman of the
Minstrels' Guild of Drachenwald
				device: or, dragon statant contourny,
		 			wings elevated and adorsed,
				and upon a point pointed, sable, a bizant

Erilar's Cave Annex: http://www.win.bright.net/~erilarlo
includes a brief biography of Mechthild as well as an account of my
heavily-medieval February '99 trip to Germany.