minstrel: Vocabulary and Terminology

Debra Grove Debra=Grove%SSD_FINAID%MSCD at Bansrvr3.mscd.edu
Thu Apr 20 10:47:05 PDT 2000

From: Greg Lindahl <lindahl at pbm.com>, on 4/20/00 11:18 AM:
>> Within the SCA, as in many pre-1600's cultures, the Bard holds a kind of
trust.

> *I* am not a "Bard", and many folks on this list don't call themselves
Bards. You, of course, >are welcome to chase your own dream as you see fit.
If that includes making sure you're >Really Nice to newcomers, that's great.
I don't know anyone who doesn't try to be Really Nice >to newcomers.

Well, that is your (and their) choice.  I have no objection whatsoever to
anyone wishing to refer to me as a Bard.  I don't call myself one, but I
rather like it when someone else does.  It's an archtypal sort of thing.

Alas, I do know of some who are not R.N. to newcomers, but one tries to
counteract their effect.  It's nice to be Really Nice to oldcomers, too.

Rowen Brithwallt

"I do not resent growing older - many are not granted that privilege."