minstrel: Pertaining to Guillaume de Machaut

Fred Ross fred at horace.ls.net
Thu Apr 20 10:42:10 PDT 2000

Machaut's pieces for a single voice were meant to be monophonic.  I have
run across some really wonderful accompaniment parts, usually 19th century
in origin, but in period the lays, virelais, and the like were all sung
with at most an instrumental interlude, probably only voice.

I haven't performed Machaut in public yet, but I have a piece in the
works.  The problem is finding time when my voice isn't exhausted from all
the Mozart my voice teacher assigns me.

Translating Machaut strikes me as a bad idea, but I am generally
prejudiced against translations.  Synopses might be useful, but these
songs are musically lovely enough where I would consider it extraneous at
times.

Fred Ross
s.k.a. Philippe de Minerve
a.k.a. Sgath