minstrel: new topic/psaltry

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Thu Apr 20 10:13:47 PDT 2000

> Do we know anything useful about the historic playing style of hammered
> dulcimers?  To me, the modern playing style strikes me as being fairly
> "evolved" and specialized

Nothing is known. One technique you mention is bouncing the hammers; I
avoid it mainly because it screams "modern" to me too. Another issue
is style of arrangement; if you hand a modern dulcimer player a
pre-1600 melody, their instinct is to stick it over arpeggiated chords.

There are very few instruments for which pre-1600 instruction manuals
exist.

-- Gregory Blount