minstrel: Vocabulary and Terminology

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Thu Apr 20 09:56:37 PDT 2000

> Within the SCA can we really afford to
> dismiss the thoughtless... the insensitive... the... callous mistreatment
> of newcomers simply because it is easier to do that then seek a solution?

There's a huge difference between dismissing the rude people issue,
and not wanting to talk about it on every mailing list. I haven't seen
anyone suggest dismissing the issue.

> Within the SCA, as in many pre-1600's cultures, the Bard holds a kind of
> trust.

I hope you aren't mapping what you think you are as an entertainer
onto other people. *I* am not a "Bard", and many folks on this list
don't call themselves Bards. You, of course, are welcome to chase your
own dream as you see fit. If that includes making sure you're Really
Nice to newcomers, that's great. I don't know anyone who doesn't try
to be Really Nice to newcomers.

-- Gregory Blount