minstrel: new topic/psaltry

Katy Krieg katyk at umich.edu
Thu Apr 20 08:31:20 PDT 2000

On pictorial evidence, all the pictures of psaltreys in _Musickgeschichte
in Bildern_, vol 3, 1977 VEB, Leipzig, show them being plucked.  There
aren't very many picture of psaltreys here, but all the other ones I
remember seeing also involved them being plucked or hit with hammers like
the modern hammered dulcimer.  This book, btw, is really cool for people
who want pictures of musicians.  It is of course cooler yet for people who
speak German and can understand the commentary.

-Elsa von Heilbronn