minstrel: Re: singing in the original language

erilarlo at win.bright.net erilarlo at win.bright.net
Thu Apr 20 07:29:35 PDT 2000

At 7:18 PM -0400 4/19/0, Christopher Gregory \(Richard Crowder\) wrote:
>how interested are people
>in period bardic circles in hearing Old French?  I have heard some say that
>it might be just too dull for a majority of listeners, but I have also heard
>that it would be fabulous to hear something in the original language.  And
>translating the Old French poetically to english would just loose so much of
>the emotion and rhyme that Machaut put in (he was after all a poet who
>happened to put his words to music that he also wrote.)
	I have the same problem with translations of Middle High German
poetry/song. If they even begin to be poetic, they quickly diverge from the
sense, mood, and intended effect of the original. When I do them for A&S, I
provide a very literal translation for the judges. When I do them in a
bardic circle, I begin with a brief description of the content, but in
either case I actually perform in the original language. Some people like
it and as yet no one has complained;-) I also like listening to things in
Old French, even though I speak no French of any age.

Mary Loomer Oliver