minstrel: A la Una Yo Naci

ranger5 ranger5 at gateway.net
Wed Apr 19 22:23:08 PDT 2000

Greetings most excellent minstrels-
      I just Got a great CD by the new world rennaissance band.  It has a
song on it called 'A la Una yo Naci' (At one o'clock, I was born).  I love
the words, and I speak reasonably good spanish, so I look forward to
learning how to perform this.  What's more, the English translation, as it
stands, is still quite beautiful, lending to the possibility of singing
alternating choruses in seperate languages.
    I intend to learn this song and perform it regardless of it's
'Periodness', but I am interested in finding out if it is in fact period,
because that would greatly expand the groups I would feel comfortable
performing it in front of.  The song on the CD Jacket is listed as
Anonymous: Sephardic : 15th Century.  We all know how easy it is to say a
song is Anonymous: Sephardic: 15th Century.  Heck, I just said it twice.
Could anyone let me know of better documentation for this song than a CD
jacket?
    Incidentally, I would absolutely love to get into polyphonic music with
other singers.  I have some lovely (and quite bawdy) secular polyphonic
songs by Janequin and would be interested in others, both secular and non
secular.  I will not be at pennsic this year.  Anyone around
Atlantia/windmasters hill way want to get together and sing with a poor
sorry bard? I can carry a tune given a small bucket, am trying to learn to
read music, and used to be a member of SPEBSQUA.

                        -Dunstan LeHeryngmongere