minstrel: new topic/psaltry

Debra Grove Debra=Grove%SSD_FINAID%MSCD at Bansrvr3.mscd.edu
Wed Apr 19 15:27:54 PDT 2000

From: Christopher Gregory (Richard Crowder) <krummhorn at hotmail.com>, on
4/19/00 4:21 PM:
To: Incognito_SMTP at InfoTech@MSCD["Minstrel List" <minstrel at pbm.com>]

> A member of our household is interested in acquiring a bowed psaltry.  I have
> heard some debate of the "period-ness" of this instrument.  Could folk here
> enlighten me, so that I may pass the information to her?

I know that the plucked psaltery is incredibly period, but I think the use
of a bow on a triangular psaltery is a 20th century invention.

Thank you.  I was fairly sure the triangular sort was modern; does anyone
know if the old "pig's nose" sort were ever bowed, or only plucked?  (I have
a vague memory of an illumination of something of the sort being bowed, but I
may be misremembering.)

Rowen Brithwallt

"I do not resent growing older - many are not granted that privilege."