minstrel: dumps

hrjones at socrates.berkeley.edu hrjones at socrates.berkeley.edu
Wed Apr 19 11:20:36 PDT 2000

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Christina van Tets wrote:
> >Please don't see offense where none was intended. Lady Nevill appears
> >in a couple of Elizabethan keyboard collections, so I suspected a
> >typo.  Everyone can make typoes.
>
> Thant's okay, I know I'm vague from time to time, but not _usually_ that
> vague :-)  I'm passably certain it was around the 1400 mark, but won't
> argue, as I haven't got the piece in this country anyway.

The OED gives the earliest citation of the musical sense of "dump" in the
mid 16th century.  While the citation-collection method certainly leaves
room for a margin of error, I wonder whether that margin of error could
actually be as large as a century and a half.  Maybe we could triangulate
on the possible Anne Nevilles that it might have been named after?

Tangwystyl

Heather Rose Jones         hrjones at socrates.berkeley.edu