minstrel: bawdy songs

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Tue Apr 18 22:06:52 PDT 2000

> It's not English, but when I was doing my honours (early music/MH German), I
> worked on a piece called Ain Yetterin, which is fairly bawdy and has a
> decent tune.

There are a bunch of non-English bawdy tunes, many of which are a bit
more explicitly naughty than the pre-1600 English ones. They're fun to
sing in their original language on formal occasions; you can find out
who the native speakers are, assuming your pronunciation and diction
are good enough.

-- Gregory Blount