minstrel: Accents in songs

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Tue Apr 18 21:49:19 PDT 2000

> Please don't. ;-) I really don't mean to sound rude--please let me
> explain.

In a similar vein (also trying to not sound rude), note that accents
change over time. I know that folks claim that English accents changed
quite a bit from Shakespeare to now; the same is probably true of
various ethnic English accents.

For example, you can find "axe" and "ask" rhymed in Elizabethan-era
poetry.

-- Gregory Blount