minstrel: bawdy songs

Christopher Gregory krummhorn at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 18 13:41:31 PDT 2000

> It's not English, but when I was doing my honours (early music/MH German), I
> worked on a piece called Ain Yetterin, which is fairly bawdy and has a
> decent tune.  It tells of the singer hiding in a bush watching a peasant
> girl weeding a field, then leaping out on her... and Oswald died in 1425, so
> I think that ought to count as period.
>
> I don't know about your area, but there were a lot of German speakers in my
> last shire (at present my lord and I are the only SCA people in the country
> here), so singing German wasn't a problem.
>
> I can try to send the text plus transcription to you if you need it - though
> working out how could be a challenge.
>
> Cairistiona
Yes, 1425 is very period.  I am always ready to get songs from the Hundred
Year's War, since my second choice for persona was from 1390.  There are
several songs on the CD "La Rocque and Roll" from period which are really
nasty, such as "une Nymphe Jolie" and "Jean de Nivelle."  And german appears
to be the "Sprache" of choice in Blackdiamond, since a great deal of the
people I know have had a few years.  Where was your last shire?

Oh, if you can figure out how to get the song online, by scanning it or
transcribing it into Noteworthy Composer or Finale, it would be wonderful,
since many people (me included) have never heard it.

Thank you most verily,
Richard Crowder of Burnham,
Musician ET Gentleman,
Though they may conflict.