minstrel: My fight with the Cantigas has begun

Przemys³aw Pi³aciñski dodiabla at draconia.it.pl
Sun Apr 16 06:58:08 PDT 2000

Help! I've read the article, but the examples are hard to decipher,
because they're small and their quality is bad and the language is not
easy for me. I think that the clef used in the cantigas is a bass clef,
and that a black square is 1/4 of a note, and a black diamond is 1/8 of
a note giving a time signature of 8/4 in the cantiga 100 (Santa Maria
strela do dia) on which I'm working, 'cos I know this one. But I've
encountered some strange symbols, like a black square with a line going
out of it (like a normal 1/4 note) or with two lines from both sides,
and I don't have a clue what do they mean. I think that there are many
other symbols, which I don't know, so if anybody deciphered the
cantigas, I'd be grateful for some (or even much) help with determining
the note values.

Przemek Pi³aciñski