minstrel: Period music and dulcimer

erilarlo at win.bright.net erilarlo at win.bright.net
Sat Apr 15 14:25:29 PDT 2000

At 4:01 PM -0400 4/15/0, Christopher Gregory wrote:
>Ahh, we all hate period nazis, even us who are authentically-oriented.  But
>they proliferate, and make everyone unhappy when they condescendingly say,
>"That's not period."  They don't even help us be more period.
	Not only that, but they may be wrong. People who act that way
seldom inquire exactly where and when your whatever-it-might-be is located
and may be falsely assigning it to a different where and when, about which
they know much less than they think they do;-)
	I know my harp is not early 13th-century, but that doesn't keep me
from trying to keep the 13th-century music I play on it as authentic as
possible. I have heard some beautifully authentic music played on
instruments much less "period" than a Hackbrett;-)

Mary Loomer Oliver
aka Erilar

". . .all fields of study and enquiry, all great Schools, demand human
sacrifice.  For their primary object is not culture, and their academic
uses are not limited in education.  Their roots are in the desire for
knowledge, and their life is maintained by those who pursue some love or
curiosity for its own sake, without reference even to personal
improvement."
			J. R. R. Tolkien

Erilar's Cave Annex: http://www.win.bright.net/~erilarlo