minstrel: viola d'amore

A Kirk p8j83 at pgj.keele.ac.uk
Sat Apr 15 10:19:50 PDT 2000

My college violin teacher, Jacob Glick, was one of the recording artists on
the viola d'amore, a viola-like instrument w/, if I recall correctly, 12
strings.  I remember him playing Vivaldi's Concerto for viola d'amore.  I'm
sure he has recorded it.  Does anyone know when this unusual instrument came
into existence & when it faded from use?

Rowenna