minstrel: puirt a beul

Debra Grove Debra=Grove%SSD_FINAID%MSCD at Bansrvr3.mscd.edu
Mon Apr 3 07:52:42 PDT 2000

>From: Dany Gilbert <dgilbert at saglac.qc.ca>, on 4/1/00 8:40 PM:
>does somone know the lyric of puirp a deul

Apologies in advance if my reply is fuzzy or abrupt as I am not well. (Cold
medication takes its toll.)

Puirt a beul, Gaelic 'mouth music,' or 'vocal music for dancing,' is a
(large) category, not an individual piece.  Which song were you looking for?

These sites will give you some more information on the topic, as well as a
few lyrics.

http://www.siliconglen.com/culture/gaelicsong.html

http://www.siliconglen.com/culture/puirtabeul.html

The particular style, btw, is appallingly difficult to do correctly, and I
really wouldn't recommend the attempt to anyone who is not studying the
language.  Those are (mostly) not nonsense syllables, and pronunciation is
tricky.

regards,

Rowen
(with a head-cold)

"I do not resent growing older - many are not granted that privilege."