minstrel: Some questions

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Wed Mar 29 00:04:16 PST 2000

> First: as my musical education started a few months ago, I found out,
> that I am completely unable to understand the strange writings of the
> Cantigas de Santa Maria. If anybody could help me, I'd be grateful  (I
> have no problems with reading normal notes). This led me to another
> question: how did the medieval note writings look like? (did they all
> look like the cantigas?).

There is a good article about the notation of the Cantigas at:

http://faculty.washington.edu/petersen/alfonso/muswerf.htm

There's a bit of debate about what the notation means; I think the
above article is the right way to think about it. Most early music
notation looks pretty much like the Cantigas; chant continued to be
written that way for a long time.

-- Gregory Blount