minstrel: cutoff date (was Several Questions,...)

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Tue Mar 28 23:12:50 PST 2000

> And it isn't as if we don't have
> plenty of pre-1600 material to work from.  The only cases where I'm
> inclined to follow the lenient path are in fields where the pre-1600
> evidence is scanty or next to non-existant and yet we know the field was
> practiced.  (Dance, for example.)

Eh? There's a ton of pre-1600 dance material to work with, and we also
know it was evolving rapidly when 1600 hit. This will get filled in a
lot more with a bunch of recently discovered and soon-to-be-published
17th century dance sources, but the pre-1600 stuff is easily accessible.

-- Gregory Blount