minstrel: Beginner questions about XIVth century France

Vanessa Layne dagoura at MIT.EDU
Tue Mar 28 13:34:34 PST 2000

(1) My apologies for the duplicate message!

(2) Gregory makes the correction:

> But note that the Maltese Bransle that most people know and play isn't
> from Arbeau. The steps are written by a SCAdian, and the music is from
> Mainerio.

Even more important to note, there is a *different* thing in Arbeau
called the Maltese Bransle which is *hard* to play on recorder (which
was the point of this discussion).  The tune most people know as the
Maltese Bransle is (deep breath) "Sciarazula Marazula"(sp?), and it is
indeed easy to play.  The Maltese Bransle in Arbeau is a bear on the
soprano, a particularly challenging piece to set a beginner on.  Be
not confused.

-- Tibicen
   tibicen at carolingia.org