minstrel: Revised Agincourt

Lisa and Ken Theriot lnktheriot at compuserve.com
Mon Mar 27 11:16:24 PST 2000

Some comments:

< There God for him fought marvelously,>

That should be "wrought", not "fought", as in "made (a miracle)".

<He sat a siege>

This is "siege" in the "seat" sense (e.g., the "Siege Perilous").  Someone
with the online OED correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the usage of
siege=seat predates siege=guys sitting around a castle; the fact that they
do a lot of sitting probably led to the crossover usage.

< Through France, for all the freshest boast>

That should be "French", not "freshest".  In the original pronunciation,
"Frenshe" would have been two syllables, so you have to sing French-a.

< And some were lade into London>

That should be "led" rather than "lade" (although it's a humorous mental
picture...).

Adelaide