minstrel: Not about tuning or filk.

Emil Stecher gwrgi at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 26 14:53:04 PST 2000

--- Christopher Gregory <krummhorn at hotmail.com> wrote:

> 2. He sette a sege, the sothe for to say,
> To Harflu toune with ryal aray;
> That toune he wan and made a fray
> That Fraunce shal rywe tyl domesday;
> Deo gracias.
>
> Did he set a siege, or a sage?  A siege would
He set a siege with a Royal army and started a battle
the French would rue till Doomsday. I believe that
that's the "Once more unto the breach" scene in Henry
V.

> 5. There dukys and erlys, lorde and barone
> Were take and slayne, and that wel sone,
> And summe were ladde into Lundone
> With joye and merthe and grete renone;
> Deo gracias.
>
> Is it there or their, referring to the Dukes and
> Earls?  There would refer
> to Agincourt, but their would refer the the French.
> And what is "wel sone?"
> Well sown?  Well done?

D, None of the above. Try "well soon" as in quickly.
They killed lots of VIPs, but some were led into
London,presumably to be ransomed later, and the folks
really enjoyed the parade.

> 6. Now gracious God he save oure kynge,
> His peple, and alle his welwyllynge;
> Yef hym gode lyfe and gode endynge,
> That we with merth mowe savely synge;
> Deo gracias.
>
> Ah, the finale.  Welwyllynge seems to be
> well-willing, so that's alright.
> "Yef hym gode lyfe and gode endynge" is absolutely
> confusing.  I think,
> "Grant him good life and good ending," but is that
> right?
Close enough for government work I'd say.

 "Mowe" seems to
> be 1430's English for "Moe" which is more, but
> referring to numbers rather
> than volume.  More beer, moe cattle.  But "savely?"
> I just copied that
> letter for letter in my rough translation.  But is
> that right?

I suspect that the modernization of that last line is
"So we may happily and safely say: England thanks G-d"
My Chaucer glossary says, "mowen- pt. pr. vb., sg may,
pl. mowen, wk pt. mighte; be able, have power, be
permitted; sometimes used absolutely, without
dependent inf." and "savely- safely; with safety"

                        Barak Raz
                   (Emil M Stecher)
                   (gwrgi at yahoo.com)