minstrel: Tuning

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Fri Mar 24 14:38:42 PST 2000

> we are not talking about pianos, we are talking of portable
> instruments, which will experience more drastic changes in the
> weather. and I never said the music was bad, just that it was often
> out of tune.

As I have said several times, I have lots of portable instruments that
I can successfully keep in tune. I'm certainly not as expert as a
professional musician in the middle ages.

> yes but, during their performance, midway through a 5 minute song,
> Guillaume instrument expands and the strings tighten. Francois,
> sitting closer to the heat of a fire, his strings become very warm
> and soft.

I assure you that I learned long ago to pay attention to heat sources.
I've also learned how to tune during a song, and frequently tune in
the middle of playing dance music.

-- gb