minstrel: cutoff date (was Several Questions,...)

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Thu Mar 23 22:28:36 PST 2000

> Unfortunately, music is one of the few areas where we do see a sharp
> delineation between old and new right around 1600, with the emergence of
> opera, monody and tonalism.

Indeed, musical scholars generally state that there's a transition
from the Renaissance to the Baroque, which happens at various times in
various places. In England, Baroque pops up right around 1600, but
lute music, for example, remains pretty the same for the entire period
it was popular, which ends around, what, 1640?

> and I for one certainly accept Ravenscroft and friends as
> "close enough" to period.

Well, that's easy enough to argue for: there is a manuscript of rounds
(Lant) from 1580; 2/3 of the rounds appear nearly unchanged in
Ravenscroft, except for the sorts of changes you expect for music in
the oral tradition. So, given that Ravenscroft is 1609 and 1611, and
it has some traditional music in it...

> What are the feelings of the rest of the list as far as cutoff dates for
> material to be performed at events?  Do you consider post-1600 material on a
> case-by-case basis?

Case-by-case. Heck, if it's written yesterday and looks and feels like
a pre-1600 piece, it's great in my book.

-- Gregory Blount