minstrel: cutoff date (was Several Questions,...)

Patricia Yarrow yarrowp at mscd.edu
Thu Mar 23 09:32:56 PST 2000

Kathleen wrote:
<<Personally, I have no problem with music up to about 1650 being considered
'period'.  There is much in music that harkons back to bygone years and
this was certainly true in 'period times'.  As long as the music being
used is not something that was considered innovative in it's own time, I
think we are fairly safe. :)>>

Unfortunately, music is one of the few areas where we do see a sharp
delineation between old and new right around 1600, with the emergence of
opera, monody and tonalism.  I do think it's safe to say that those changes
were not universal, and I for one certainly accept Ravenscroft and friends as
"close enough" to period.  I also accept the ap Huw manuscript as *being*
period, for all that it was written down c. 1613, as some of the pieces were
copied out of an early manuscript (that of Wiliam Penlyn) and the others are
characteristic of the same style.

What are the feelings of the rest of the list as far as cutoff dates for
material to be performed at events?  Do you consider post-1600 material on a
case-by-case basis?

Vivien