minstrel: Several Questions, and more on Filk

cynthia j ley cley at juno.com
Wed Mar 22 22:55:44 PST 2000

>Page's argument is that a particular type of troubadour song, which he
>calls "high style," was sung unaccompanied.  Joel Cohen has argued the
>other way (you can find the article by going to the SCA A&S page
>maintained by our noble listmaster).  I suspect that, as usual, it
>depends--troubadours who had a great deal of confidence in their voices
>might have gone a capella, while those with shakier pitch or less
>dynamic styles might have preferred instrumental support.  I do think
>it's hard to pull off an a capella performance with an audience that's
>used to modern recorded music, with the full sound of a rock band or a
>symphony orchestra.  But if you're a brave sort, go for it.

There is a bit of a misnomer that troubadours were composers and poets
and instrumentalists and singers--i.e. all of the above. All could do at
least one of the above. Troubadours of the noble class often employed
musicians to accompany them and/or sing their songs, and some wrote poems
to be set to music.

						Arlys