minstrel: Several Questions, and more on Filk

Katy Krieg katyk at umich.edu
Wed Mar 22 13:44:11 PST 2000

According to the stuff I've read, there's a Great Scholarly Debate on
whether or not instruments were used to accompany voices at all before
about the Rennaisance.  Christopher Page wrote a good deal on this topic,
if you want to look him up.  I personally find it hard to believe that
people didn't accompany themselves instrumentally before the lute pieces
and such, but there is definitely hard evidence for lots of a cappela
performance.  It might be harder to attract modern audiences used to
accompaniment, but a cappela performance is certainly period.

On a completely off topic, unrelated question, could anyone tell me when
and where the War of the Lillies is this year?  My lord and I would like
to attend, and can't find any information on it.

- Elsa von Heilbronn