minstrel: Several Questions, and more on Filk

Teleri Barod sca_bard at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 22 13:06:00 PST 2000

--- Christopher Gregory <krummhorn at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Another question... Is it desired to have some kind
> of accompaniment to
> tunes you sing in a bardic circle, or are those with
> only the instrument of
> voice seen as equals in most eyes.  I have heard
> that sometimes, to
> entertain an audience (especially with my
> only-period repitoire) it is
> necessary to have a backup instrument like a guitar.
>  Of course, my feelings
> are different, but then again, I am making period
> underwear for Pennsic, so
> I cannot be used as a barometer of the public.

I can't say, in my experience, that any equipment is
*necessary* to entertain an audience.  I know I feel a
certain trepidation following someone with backup, for
fear that my a capella will sound thin and
uninteresting compared to the rich texture of
voice-and-instrument they just heard.

But generally, the audience doesn't really care, as
long as they enjoy what you're doing, instrument or
not.