minstrel: Response to Tangwystyl's letter

Monica Hultin hultin at pangea.ca
Wed Mar 22 12:11:26 PST 2000

>To: "Killer Piper" <killerpiper at hotmail.com>
>From: hultin at pangea.ca (Monica Hultin)
>Subject: Re: minstrel: Response to Tangwystyl's letter
>Bcc:
>Might I suggest trying some Ravenscroft?  "Martin said to his man" lends
itself to new words.  You can come up with some interesting jokes about some
of your locals as verses.  Sometimes people are surprised to find out the
song is from 1609, (or is 1611? 1613?)  Other songs from this collection are
quite lively (We be three poor mariners as well as Soldiers Three) and there
are rounds people can learn.

>BTW another exercise is to learn Sumer is Icumen In and have the audience
learn the Pes to sing along.  I've done this at bardic circles as well as
school demos.