minstrel: Several Questions, and more on Filk

Christopher Gregory krummhorn at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 22 11:45:43 PST 2000

Yes, I know that our period ends with 1600, but is it possible to call
tunes, say Montiverdi's Vespers of 1610, period?  The style is very period.
I have seen several 'period' swordfighting manuals from 1600 on, most
notably (because I have a copy in PDF format) Jakob Sutors Fechtbuch of
1612; Sutor's Fechtbuch contains period styles of combat, and could the same
allowance be applied to music from 1600 to, say, 1650?

Another question... Is it desired to have some kind of accompaniment to
tunes you sing in a bardic circle, or are those with only the instrument of
voice seen as equals in most eyes.  I have heard that sometimes, to
entertain an audience (especially with my only-period repitoire) it is
necessary to have a backup instrument like a guitar.  Of course, my feelings
are different, but then again, I am making period underwear for Pennsic, so
I cannot be used as a barometer of the public.

And finally, will people stop trying to say that those of us who want more
period music are Music Nazis?  I enjoy a good laugh, but period music is
often funny too (escapism isn't just a 20't century thing, you know.)  I
have no problem with t-tunics, or filk.  I just want to hear more period
music, and less filk.  Filk takes me out of the 15th and 16th centuries and
plops me unceremoniously back in the 21st, and I don't like that very much.

Well, thank you, and GOOD NIGHT NURSE!

Richard Crowder (the Sickly) of Burnham
"A family owned business for 75 years."