minstrel: Gaudete

Heather Senkler wl835 at victoria.tc.ca
Tue Mar 21 16:43:12 PST 2000

> Yow!  Is this the musical equivalent of "Kill them all, let God sort them
> out"?  A band of armed men singing, "Rejoice!  For Christ is born of the
> Virgin Mary!  (Now let's go out there and kill!)"
> [Gaudete, from Piae Cantiones (Finland, 1582)
> New Oxford Book of Carols]
>
> Adelaide

I apologize for the lateness of this reply but I wanted to think on it.
Not being a practicing Christian, why do I like this carol? I think it is
mostly the music and what it means to other people. By that, the music,
the tune, the beat are all wonderfully energetic is a focused, serious yet
lively way. and as for the meaning, I would compare it to the moment I
stepped instead Notre Dame de Paris. I do not whorship there, I never
have, but for that moment I could feel the power of the dedication of
every soul who worked, toiled and slaved over this monument to their
faith. I feel that in the music of Mozart, I feel that energy in a lot of
other composer's works. The essence of their faith. And I enjoy singing it
as I walk. It's a good beat to swing to.

	Ekatarina