minstrel: Lowest Common Denominator

Raselsnarf at aol.com Raselsnarf at aol.com
Tue Mar 21 00:24:07 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/20/00 8:22:10 PM Pacific Standard Time, teleute at home.com
writes:

  >  AND YET...if I hadn't told her, would she have
 > arranged to have something from Heavy Classics played as a processional for
 > the Prince and Princess at some local event in the future?  Should I have
 > shut my mouth when I had information that might have helped her understand
 > SCA period better and thus have more fun in the Society?
 > Okay, heart unburdened.  Tell me what I should have done. >>

I have been a musician now for some 9 years.  In and of itself is not a great
period of time, but compared to my 21 years is a good chunk of my life.  When
I first began to play one of the greatest lessons I had to learn was the art
of Constructive Criticism.  Showing someone their mistakes is not a bad thing
in itself, but you must be careful on how the criticism is delivered.  If you
berate someone for their mistakes they will take it harshly.  They will
become defensive and will learn nothing from it, yet if you show them how to
better themselves and teach them they will understand and accept the
criticism and use it to grow.

In regard to being Out Of Period, that gets to being a stickier subject.
Being that we are recreating history that is over 4 centuries past it is not
an easy task and exceptions are made even in the case of minstrels.  I love
to play the guitar, yet this is most definitely not a period instrument.  I
don't know about you guys, but I have had not one complaint about playing my
guitar at events, well except when really out of tune LOL.

Well, before I get too wordy.  Just remember, teaching is a good thing.  You
just have to be careful how the message comes across.

Toa Brown
702-275-4970

Kiernan Delaney
Starkhafn Barony