minstrel: Lowest Common Denominator

teleute at home.com teleute at home.com
Mon Mar 20 20:26:31 PST 2000

Jennifer Friedman wrote:

> AND YET...if I hadn't told her, would she have
> arranged to have something from Heavy Classics played as a processional for
> the Prince and Princess at some local event in the future?  Should I have
> shut my mouth when I had information that might have helped her understand
> SCA period better and thus have more fun in the Society?
> Okay, heart unburdened.  Tell me what I should have done.

I think that while we're all in the SCA for fun, it is a learning
experience as well to most, and as long as you were courteous about
imparting your knowledge then you did the right thing.  I love to
learn.  I'm very much a beginner to the SCA, although not to music, so
I'll use clothing as a example.  If someone came up to me and
congratulated my efforts, but kindly told me why a particular part of my
garb wasn't period, then gave me a good idea of what to do to fix it
(i.e. either instructions, help, or a reference) I'd be happy to have
leanred something that day.  As long as it's done kindly and with
respect, corrections aren't a bad thing.  It's how we learn, after all.

-Jimena

Allison Roth, Teleute, Wolfsong
teleute at home.com
http://www.ucalgary.ca/~walrus