minstrel: My search for a period-looking guitar is over!

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Mon Mar 20 07:11:58 PST 2000

> For what it's worth- here's my opinion........I think that
> historical accuracy is good to strive for, but not to the extent
> that we know longer are having fun.

I suspect that just about everyone works that way -- I happen to think
that being historically accurate is fun.

> I've played 16th cent. lute music on my classical guitar at events,
> and people appreciated it. It's far from perfect, but it's better
> than nothing. Of course if I could afford a real lute I would much
> rather play that.

Depending on the weather, you might be much better off using the
classical guitar for its humidity stability. My hurdy gurdy has a
plastic wheel for this very reason. I think it's a good substitution,
because it isn't visible externally, and allows me to play in
situations where I would't be otherwise able. You might think
differely; you might not find it fun. So be it.

-- gb