minstrel: My search for a period-looking guitar is over!

Dana Hawkes danad at tidepool.com
Mon Mar 20 01:07:49 PST 2000

For what it's worth- here's my opinion........I think that historical accuracy is
good to strive for, but not to the extent that we know longer are having fun. You
sound a little to serious Thomas. I've played 16th cent. lute music on my
classical guitar at events, and people appreciated it. It's far from perfect, but
it's better than nothing. Of course if I could afford a real lute I would much
rather play that. I think period music played on a lute/guitar is fine. And why
would Lady Arabella go around warning everyone that her instrument isn't totally
accurate? The boots I wear aren't perfectly accurate, but I don't walk around
pointing it out to everyone. Some people will be aware of the fact that she's
playing a hybrid instrument and some won't. The ones who do recognize this don't
need to be told, and the ones who don't are probably having a good time- why spoil
it. If we all walked around pointing out inaccuracies in our clothing, food,
pavilions/tents, speech, etc., we'd be honest, but not much fun.
So.....Have fun playing your new instrument. I'm sure (almost) everyone will
appreciate it.