minstrel: My search for a period-looking guitar is over!

Donald F. Harrington dharrington at uswest.net
Sun Mar 19 10:54:34 PST 2000

Well, it appears to be almost identical.  There may be some variance in the
number of ribs, and mine has a carved rosette in the sound-hole, but other
than that, I don't see any significant difference.  Höfner is an old
manufacturer, starting back in 1887 (although I don't think these
instruments date from then), whose current status in collectibles revolve
around the electric bass that Paul McCartney made famous and a series of
arch-top guitars.  My instrument has a Höfner decal on the front of the
body, down near the strap peg.  If yours has been refinished at some time,
that could have been removed.  Perhaps the rosette was removed at the same
time.  There's no doubt in my mind, especially after looking at your
pictures, that our instruments are brother and sister.

I have played a variety of lute transcriptions on this instrument and
usually been happy with the results.  I'm curious as to how the [MINSTREL]
list feels about this kind of hybrid instrument, though.

Lazarus Artifex
Don Harrington