minstrel: My search for a period-looking guitar is over!

Siandra Hoepfner siandrah at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 18 07:29:38 PST 2000

--- "Donald F. Harrington" wrote:
> What a pretty instrument.  It looks just like my
> Höfner, which I assure you
> is a dream to play.  Is there a brand name anywhere
> on it?
>
> Lazarus Artifex
> Don Harrington

Well, I do believe it is German, judging from its age.
 I'll give you the particulars, and perhaps you could
compare the two for me and see:  We believe it to be
about 80 years old.  It has 13 ribs in the back, and
the guy at the folk shop believed the wood on the back
to be maple, the soundboard cedar, and the neck
perhaps  walnut, but he could not be certain.  There
is some rudementary carving around the soundhold in a
simple design.  The square tip of the instrument has a
carved flower with a small circular center and four
larger "petals" surrounding it. There are the remains
of what appears to be a gold foil label inside, but no
writing remains and I have no idea if this is
original. The soundhole measures between 3 3/4" to 4"
across.  The frets look like brass (though they could
have been replaced along the line) and (this is
interesting as I have only seen this done on Rock
instruments) the fretboard is scalloped! (By the  way,
if anyone can explain to me the reasons for this, I
would greatly appreciate it!)  There is a large
section of decorative wood along the bottom (I'm not
sure what to call it, or how to describe it), but the
pin that holds the guitar strap is centered in it.
The sound is warm and open and a just little sweet. So
how does this compare with your Hofner?  Please let me
know because I am dying to find out!

Lady Arabella