minstrel: Viola da Gamba--what is it tuned to?

Siandra Hoepfner siandrah at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 16 09:49:06 PST 2000

I have just found a gorgeous Viola da Gamba to
purchase  for my husband, who plays cello.  This
instrument has a very "cello-like" sound to it--lovely
and deep.  Do any of you know what the 6 strings are
supposed to be tuned to?  Even the shop proprioter
isn't certain on this.  Please help if you can.

Lady Arabella