minstrel: help with books pls

Tim Connor timcon at flash.net
Tue Mar 14 21:53:12 PST 2000

raymond.wickham at customs.gov.au wrote:

> Greetings gentles all
>
>         I am contemplating buying some books can anyone give me an opinion
> of them please
>
>         Early Irish Lyrics
>         by Gerard Murphy

This is quite an interesting book--in addition to the poems, in
translations that seem less stilted than usual, it contains a biography
of an actual Irish poet that sheds some light on the role of the poet in
late medieval Ireland.  It comes out a bit different from the
conventional romantic version.

Tadhgh