minstrel: help with books pls

Fred (Flieg) Hollander flieg at socrates.berkeley.edu
Tue Mar 14 15:59:54 PST 2000

Flieg here -

At 05:00 PM 3/14/00 -0600, erilarlo at win.bright.net wrote:
>At 5:17 PM +1100 3/14/0, raymond.wickham at customs.gov.au wrote:
>>Greetings gentles all
>>
>>	I am contemplating buying some books can anyone give me an opinion
>>of them please
>
>>	Medieval and Renaissance Music
>>	(A Performers Guide)
>>	Timothy J McGee
>I take you mean	McGee, Timothy J., A. G. Rigg and David N. Klausner, eds.
>_Singing Early Music: the Pronunciation of European Languages in the Late
>Middle Ages and Renaissance _ (comes with CD)	?? I understand it will
>help you with the pronunciation of this music in the original languages.
>It's later than my main interest, though I would like to take a look at
>this one myself.

  No, the one he is referencing is by McGee only and titled exactly
as shown. I have a copy. It's nice but so far I'm not getting anything
but generalities out of it. Some _useful_ generalities, but not a lot of
juicy bits.  All of the books out there are of course "how to do what is
there", not what I am interested in, which is "what are the characteristics
which are common in music of type X" -- so that I can make "original music
like type X".

> If you are at all interested in Minnesang,
>McMahon, James V ._The Music of Early Minnesang,_ Camden House, Columbia,
>SC, 1990.  is very good on performance.
>
>I get most of my books of this sort via ILL and have to give them back, but
>I have copied many chunks;-)
>

>Mary Loomer Oliver

   *   *   *    Frederick of Holland, MSCA, OP, OL, etc.
  *|* *|* *|*   flieg at socrates.berkeley.edu
  (((Flieg Hollander, Chemistry Dept., U.C. Berkeley)))