minstrel: Re: Period music can get in your veins

Lisa and Ken Theriot lnktheriot at compuserve.com
Tue Mar 14 08:40:54 PST 2000

Ekaterina wrote:

< All of us, all forty of us, men and women, marching high, marching up the
hill, with the strains of a centuries old battle hymn leading us on. I have
always enjoyed that song. I may not be the most religious of people but I
enjoy good music, secular or non. I have never had chills as such as those
before, but I hope I will find them again. A troop of fighters, marching
north, up the hillside, echoing through the valley.  Gaudete, gaudete,
chritos es natos, ex maria virgene, gaudete.>

Yow!  Is this the musical equivalent of "Kill them all, let God sort them
out"?  A band of armed men singing, "Rejoice!  For Christ is born of the
Virgin Mary!  (Now let's go out there and kill!)"
[Gaudete, from Piae Cantiones (Finland, 1582)
New Oxford Book of Carols]

Adelaide