minstrel: Who's afraid of the big bad filk?

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Mon Mar 13 17:26:56 PST 2000

> I was planning to stay out of this one since I am so new to the SCA and do
> not feel that I could render an informed opinion.  I do have a question,
> however.  I recently wrote an anthem for our Shire entitled "To Tir Bannog"
> and have used the melody from "The Ash Grove".  You can read & listen to it
> on our Shire's website located at http://www.bulkley.net/~tor/ .  Would this
> be considered a filk?  Disclaimer: The only stupid question is the one not
> asked.

Several people already gave their definition of filk. Is this tune not
known to exist earlier than 1802, as a random webpage I found by
searching says? If so, then it's certainly not new words to a period tune.

> I would also be interested in knowing the address for the above-mentioned
> website of Vlad the Purple.

If you look at http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/minstrel.html, that's one of
many resources pointed to.

-- gb