minstrel: Re: whither filk

Lisa and Ken Theriot lnktheriot at compuserve.com
Mon Mar 13 07:39:44 PST 2000

Burke wrote:

We wouldn't lose a site over plagiarism.  It is only illegal if you try to
reproduce the song or tune for money without the composers (or he who holds
the rights) consent.  I could sing whatever I wanted to, pass it off as my
own and all that makes me is immoral.  It is, however, perfectly legal.

I'm sorry, but you are forgetting several points of copyright law,
including performance royalties, which are due and owed whether money is
charged for the performance or not.  The site is responsible for licensing
these rights or paying for them on a use basis, and it is the site which
gets sued for this particular infraction, not the singer.
The best example for demonstrating this problem is the Girl Scouts of
America being sued for singing "Puff the Magic Dragon" around campfires.
 They were (successfully) targeted by ASCAP for unlawful performance (which
was neither charged for nor recorded for reproduction) and unlawful
publication (for having song sheets, which were not sold, but made
available for the campers' use free).  ASCAP also routinely sues churches
for similar infractions, and they are usually successful.  No amount of
non-profit status or good intentions can insulate an organization on these
counts.  Anyone renting us a site is making a business gain, and that's
enough for ASCAP.

As far as passing off someone else's work as your own, it is most
definitely as illegal as it is immoral, whether you are charging for it or
not.  Even if you have the author's permission, it is safest to disclose
the authorship and state that the author "reserves all rights" because it
may affect their right to sue later if someone else DOES reproduce the work
for money.
Please check the excellent article that appeared a few issues ago in TI for
more particulars.

Adelaide