minstrel: Who's afraid of the big bad filk?

B.Zantingh(aka Bernadette) bzantingh at bulkley.net
Mon Mar 13 00:47:41 PST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Greg Lindahl <lindahl at pbm.com>
To: <FrogEyes78 at aol.com>
Cc: <minstrel at pbm.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 12, 2000 10:28 PM
Subject: Re: minstrel: Who's afraid of the big bad filk?

> So "attempt to encourage filk singers to sing early music" is right
> out in your book? How about "publish materials to help filk writers
> use period tunes", such as Vlad the Purple's "Medieval Melodies for
> Filking" website?

I was planning to stay out of this one since I am so new to the SCA and do
not feel that I could render an informed opinion.  I do have a question,
however.  I recently wrote an anthem for our Shire entitled "To Tir Bannog"
and have used the melody from "The Ash Grove".  You can read & listen to it
on our Shire's website located at http://www.bulkley.net/~tor/ .  Would this
be considered a filk?  Disclaimer: The only stupid question is the one not
asked.

I would also be interested in knowing the address for the above-mentioned
website of Vlad the Purple.

Bonne Nuit!

Bernadette Mareschal de Valleé
Tir Bannog, Northern Region of An Tir