minstrel: whither filk

Creighton Widdis bagpiperx at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 12 15:51:34 PST 2000

We wouldn't lose a site over plagarism.  It is only
illegal if you try and reproduce the song or tune for
money without the compossers (or he who holds the
rights) concent.  I could sing whatever I wanted to,
pass it off as my own and all that makes me is
immoral.  It is, however, perfectly legal.

--- Lisa and Ken Theriot <lnktheriot at compuserve.com>
wrote:
> Julian wrote:
>
> <Nobody pretends they are period-and I wouldn't step
> up and sing one in
> court.>
>
> Bless you sir; unfortunately, you are incorrect that
> "nobody" pretends or
> thinks they are period.  I have judged bardic
> competitions wherein some
> well-meaning person entered a "traditional piece"
> only to have them launch
> into "The gypsy rover came over the hill...", or
> something else not only
> NOT period, but under active copyright.
>
> There are two big "dangers" to filk.  One, which
> affects everyone, is that
> much of it is outright plagiarism; the resulting
> copyright violation runs
> the danger of causing us to lose a site if they get
> dinged by ASCAP because
> of our behavior (and at open sites that isn't as
> unlikely as people would
> like to think).
>
> The other, infinitely more subtle, is exactly what
> you describe.  YOU know
> better, but many people do not.  Every time an
> experienced bard does filk,
> they send the signal that it's okay, and the less
> experienced bards are
> sure to take it to the next, even less appropriate
> level.  Just as
> inexperienced bards can hear "Watkin's Ale" and
> think, "Ah, bawdy songs are
> good..." and launch into the "Ball of Ballynoor",
> any song obviously based
> on even traditional melodies (like the zillions of
> Christmas carol filks)
> can open the floodgates for "Let There Be Wars on
> Earth" and "Achy Breaky
> Helm".
>
> Sadly, the phenomenon of Lowest Common Denominator
> is very real.  The
> larger the bardic circle, the more likely that loud,
> humorous, and
> out-of-period will go over big.  Even filk DEF2,
> original words and tunes
> on an SCA theme, tend to take the circle down to the
> LCD if it is obviously
> in an OOP style (like 12-bar blues).  A good friend
> of mine has written
> many lovely, "peri-oid" songs on classical themes,
> period battles, etc.;
> however, the songs that get requested are the funny
> songs he's written in
> blues and country-western styles, because they are
> accessible to the LCD
> (and the LCD seem to be the loudest when it comes to
> requests).
>
> Perhaps we need another color ribbon to tie in with
> Tibicen's idea:
> BLUE=Bards welcome, any material acceptable
> BLUE&RED=Bards welcome, period material only
> BLUE&GREEN=Bards welcome, peri-oid material only
>
> Strictly based on my own repertoire, I don't want to
> be stuck at the "blue"
> bardic circle, but I have only a few things to
> contribute to the "blue and
> red" circle, and my husband nothing at all.  We
> [...]

=====
"You don't do Zen, Zen do you!"
Berke the Stubborn AoA
Formerly known as Murdock MacLeod the Mongol
Acting Minister of Arts and Sciences
Deputy Senechal Sigelhundas
Principality of Avacal
Kingdom of AnTir