minstrel: whither filk

Lisa and Ken Theriot lnktheriot at compuserve.com
Sun Mar 12 13:22:50 PST 2000

Julian wrote:

<Nobody pretends they are period-and I wouldn't step up and sing one in
court.>

Bless you sir; unfortunately, you are incorrect that "nobody" pretends or
thinks they are period.  I have judged bardic competitions wherein some
well-meaning person entered a "traditional piece" only to have them launch
into "The gypsy rover came over the hill...", or something else not only
NOT period, but under active copyright.

There are two big "dangers" to filk.  One, which affects everyone, is that
much of it is outright plagiarism; the resulting copyright violation runs
the danger of causing us to lose a site if they get dinged by ASCAP because
of our behavior (and at open sites that isn't as unlikely as people would
like to think).

The other, infinitely more subtle, is exactly what you describe.  YOU know
better, but many people do not.  Every time an experienced bard does filk,
they send the signal that it's okay, and the less experienced bards are
sure to take it to the next, even less appropriate level.  Just as
inexperienced bards can hear "Watkin's Ale" and think, "Ah, bawdy songs are
good..." and launch into the "Ball of Ballynoor", any song obviously based
on even traditional melodies (like the zillions of Christmas carol filks)
can open the floodgates for "Let There Be Wars on Earth" and "Achy Breaky
Helm".

Sadly, the phenomenon of Lowest Common Denominator is very real.  The
larger the bardic circle, the more likely that loud, humorous, and
out-of-period will go over big.  Even filk DEF2, original words and tunes
on an SCA theme, tend to take the circle down to the LCD if it is obviously
in an OOP style (like 12-bar blues).  A good friend of mine has written
many lovely, "peri-oid" songs on classical themes, period battles, etc.;
however, the songs that get requested are the funny songs he's written in
blues and country-western styles, because they are accessible to the LCD
(and the LCD seem to be the loudest when it comes to requests).

Perhaps we need another color ribbon to tie in with Tibicen's idea:
BLUE=Bards welcome, any material acceptable
BLUE&RED=Bards welcome, period material only
BLUE&GREEN=Bards welcome, peri-oid material only

Strictly based on my own repertoire, I don't want to be stuck at the "blue"
bardic circle, but I have only a few things to contribute to the "blue and
red" circle, and my husband nothing at all.  We could play (and listen) all
night at the "blue and green" circle.  Like any political issue, I think a
lot of people are in the middle; they don't want to hear 12-bar blues, but
they don't want to cut out all the great material after 1600, including ALL
original work.  I for one do not feel like "Burden of the Crown" ruins a
"period" atmosphere, but it won't fly at the "blue and red" circle.  This
is tough, I know, because it is somewhat subjective, but you've got to
start somewhere.

Looking for the middle ground....

Adelaide