minstrel: Re: digest 837 (blue ribbons, period music)

Vanessa Layne dagoura at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 9 15:05:09 PST 2000

> I LOVE this idea.  Tibicen, do you give us permission to re-distribute this
> on our local/regional lists?

Absolutely.  Pass it on, pass it on, pass it on.

> I am suprised that more bards don't go do stuff like this.  It's all free
> for the taking (okay, ten cents a page, but you know what I mean) at your

Not everyone reads music.  In my experience that is the single biggest
reason a bard doesn't do period music.  And I know no one who does
period music who can't read.

It's not that there aren't recordings available, but they *are*
expensive, often sufficiently expensive that people don't want to
speculate in them.  And if you don't know what to look for, you're
likely going to buy a lot of CDs before you find stuff that floats
your boat.

So it turns out that people who read music are more likely to do
period music for the simple reason they have cheaper access.  Like on
the order of $0.10/song.  And they only have to bring home the ones
which look likely.

I can think of few more compelling reasons to learn to read music.
Being illiterate leaves you hostage to recordings which demand a dear
ransom.

(If there are people here who don't read who want to, ask.  I bet
there's scads of people here who would be happy to teach you. If you
want to know more about what it would take time/effort-wise to become
musically literate, ask.)

-- Tibicen
   tibicen at carolingia.org