minstrel: Apology

John F. Hirling jhirling at houston.rr.com
Thu Mar 9 06:37:30 PST 2000

<snip>
  (And I'd like to see filks banned altogether, but
|that's my personal quirk.)
|
|Tadhgh O Cuileannain

Hmmm. . . . Interesting notion. Guess it depends on what you mean by "filk."
If you mean non-period lyrics to a non-period tune, in non-period style, I
couldn't agree with you more (and this from someone who has had the
privilege of having his mouth duct taped shut for far worse).  If you mean
doggeral set to period music, I wouldn't cry too much.  But if you mean the
time honored (and period) tradition of putting new lyrics to an old tune,
either as parody or with a new theme (e.g. "A Mighty Fortress is Our God"),
I'm afraid we have disagreement.
--ihon